Monday, January 19, 2015

Deontay Wilder crowned heavyweight champion after win over Bermane Stiverne



For the first time since 2006, an American boxer holds one of the major heavyweight crowns.

Deontay Wilder won the World Boxing Council title with a 12-round decision over Bermane Stiverne on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. Wilder, the 29-year-old who won a bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics, won easily on all three judges cards and is 33-0, with 32 knockouts.

I want to bring excitement back to the heavyweight division, the Bronze Bomber said, after becoming the first U.S.-born fighter to win a world heavyweight title since Shannon Briggs held the World Boxing Organization belt in 2006.

Judges scored the fight 118-109, 119-108 and 120-107.

I answered a lot of questions tonight, said Wilder, who won an Olympic bronze at the Beijing Olympics. I already knew I could go 12 hard rounds and take a punch. I am just excited.

Stiverne, the 36-year-old now former champion who said he had an off night, is 24-1-1 with 21 KOs.

It just feels like I was flat in the ring, Stiverne said. I didnt do what I know I can do. I need to go back and work on the mistakes. I couldnt cut the ring. I couldnt move my head like normal.

As many have pointed out, hes now the best heavyweight champ not named Klitschko. Could he beat Wladimir?

There are other dangerous fighters, who I value more than Wilder, James Ali Bashir, Klitschkos assistant trainer, said last month. For example, Mariusz Wach [who went the distance with Wladimir in 2012]. I think that Wladimir would stop Deontay by the sixth round.

After spending most of her career in traditional print sports journalism, Cindy began blogging and tweeting, first as NFL/Redskins editor, and, since August 2010, at The Early Lead. She also is the social media editor for Sports.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/18/deontay-wilder-crowned-heavyweight-champion-after-win-over-bermane-stiverne/



No comments:

Post a Comment