Sunday, July 26, 2015

Bryan Caraway didn"t want Miesha Tate to corner him at UFC on FOX 16 | MMAjunkie

CHICAGO Bryan Caraway and Miesha Tate are in a situation almost no one can relate to.After all, not many relationships involve two professional fighters, let alone two who have competed in the UFC octagon on the same night.

Caraway (20-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Tate (17-5 MMA, 4-2 UFC)both competed Saturday night at UFC on FOX 16. Not only did both pick up wins, but they worked each others corner during the event. With a title shot on the line for Tate, it seemed a risky move for her to go through the emotional rollercoaster of cornering her boyfriend earlier in the night.

But Tate had no plans to avoid the corner for Caraways win over former WEC champion Eddie Wineland (21-11-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC).

I was prepared to put it behind me either way, Tate told MMAjunkie at the post-fight press conference. Once he won, it was great. But I knew that, no matter what happened, I was going to separate my fight from his fight emotionally. Thats something we get a lot of practice with anyway, being a couple inside the gym. We have to separate things. Its something that I feel like Im really good at. Its not the first time we fought on the same card together. But it is the first time that we fought in the UFC together and cornered each other on the same night. It was a little more stressful than normal, but we were both super motivated. And I felt like I had a lot of positive energy.

Tate fought in the co-main event of the evening, facing Jessica Eye (11-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC)in a No. 1 contender fight. The winner was to receive a shot at the winner of Ronda Rouseys UFC 190 title defense against Bethe Correia.

Tate pulled off an impressive victory, dropping Eye multiple times en route to a wide unanimous decision victory. UFC President Dana White confirmed that Tate was up next for a title shot following the bout.

The stakes of that fight had Caraway wanting Tate to take a pass on working his corner, but he knew better than to fight with Tate.

I actually didnt want her to corner me, Caraway said. I was worried. I didnt want her to have an adrenaline dump at all. Just from the crowd or seeing everything or if something happened during my fight. I didnt want her to worry. Even if she was mentally okay I didnt want that natural hormone to have that adrenaline dump and affect her in her fight. But she told me, Youve always been there for me and Im going to be there for you, no matter what. I wasnt going to argue with her. You dont argue with her.

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 16, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Source: http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/bryan-caraway-didnt-want-miesha-tate-to-corner-him-at-ufc-on-fox-16

No comments:

Post a Comment