Monday, September 12, 2016

Hub Arkush: Chicago Bears are a 7-9 team, plus a few more ...


Bears vs. Texans (Week 1 Preview) | Around the NFL Podcast

Whether youre a hard-core fan, a more casual observer but with a very clear allegiance, a bettor, a Fantasy Fanatic" or a member of the media we all share one favorite pastime, predicting the future of our favorite game.

So what will the Chicago Bears record be this year?

I like what the Bears did in free agency this past offseason except that the second I heard it I reported, I thought waiving Matt Slauson after signing Manny Ramirez and Ted Larsen was foolish.

Although Im not sold on Bobby Massie being anything more than a journeyman at right tackle, him there with Kyle Long back at right guard is a huge improvement over Long at right tackle and Vladimir Ducasse or Patrick Omameh at guard.

Akiem Hicks is the first true five-technique the Bears have had since Vic Fangio brought his 3-4 base defense to town. In signing Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman, the Bears went from the worst inside linebacker group in the NFL to contention for the best.

I was encouraged by the draft, although I was unhappy when the Bears traded up to jump in front of the Giants in the first round and then left Laremy Tunsil on the board to select Leonard Floyd.

Cody Whitehair, Johnathan Bullard, Deon Bush, Deiondre Hall and Jordan Howard all appeared to be excellent value for where the Bears drafted them.

I had no opinion on the choice of Dowell Loggains to replace Adam Gase because although it seems like a huge stretch for a young coach who isnt widely revered or for that matter known around the league, John Fox has an excellent record hiring assistant coaches and is probably due the benefit of the doubt.

I really thought we were looking at an 8-8, maybe even 9-7 team that if everything went right . . .

Then we went to Bourbonnais and the great majority of the roster showed little to generate excitement in practice. The team was somewhere between bad and awful in its four exhibition games.

As the Bears went to make the final cuts, my expectations plummeted and I thought 6-10 was probably realistic and 5-11 a real possibility.

Then the Josh Sitton signing and Robbie Gould cut happened and I was thoroughly confused.

I think the way the Bears handled Gould sucked, but based on his 2015 season and 16 training camp I cant objectively say the Bears are better or worse with Connor Barth.

Sitton on the other hand represents a potential sea change on the offensive line. The Bears went from potentially one of the scariest O-line groups in the league to the best at guard and even though hes a rookie, Whitehair at center should be a big upgrade over Larsen at center.

Now I am close to paralysis through analysis but out of time and required to climb out on the limb. I believe the 16 Bears are a 7-9 football team.

And hey, if Im going to risk looking stupid why not do it for all 32 teams?

So heres how I see the 2016 NFL regular season.

Source: http://journalstar.com/sports/football/hub-arkush-chicago-bears-are-a---team-plus/article_65ecfd33-2063-537c-908b-1c38ff08e640.html

No comments:

Post a Comment