Friday, February 19, 2016

Arsne Wenger surprised Manchester United tried to sign Mathieu Debuchy


Louis van Gaal: Listen to Fans! | FC Midtjylland 2-1 Manchester United | FANCAM

Arsne Wenger has confirmed that he blocked Manchester Uniteds loan move for Mathieu Debuchy in January and the Arsenal manager expressed his surprise that the Old Trafford club should even have tried.

Debuchy, who has been supplanted by Hctor Bellern in the right-back position at Arsenal, was desperate for regular football over the second-half of the season, with a view to forcing his way into Didier Deschamps France squad for the Euro 2016 finals and he ended up joining Bordeaux on loan.

But he admitted earlier in the week that it would have been magnificent if he had been allowed to join United, who made a late bid to take him from the Emirates Stadium until the end of the season.

Wenger did not entertain the notion of one of his players moving to Old Trafford, having previously stood in the way of Thomas Vermaelens proposed transfer there in the summer of 2014. Vermaelen would sign, instead, for Barcelona.

I hope thats not surprising to you, Wenger said of his decision to prevent Debuchy from joining United. Its true. I stand up for that. There was nothing shocking in that.

If Man United wants to buy a player you loan players out to clubs who do not have the resources but not to direct opponents. I was surprised, yes [that United tried]. I can understand it but I found it logical [to block the loan].

Debuchy told Canal+: I was disappointed, obviously. If I had the chance to go to Manchester United it would have been magnificent. Unfortunately, it wasnt the case. I discussed it with the coach, too, who said that obviously he couldnt help out a rival.

Yes, Im a little bit annoyed with him. Its his choice. I had a good pre-season. He said that I would have game time and that we would discuss it in December. Unfortunately, I didnt have this game time.

Wenger is preparing for Saturdays FA Cup visit of Hull City Arsenal are facing Steve Bruces team for the third season in succession, having beaten them in the 2014 final and the third round last time out and he spoke about his affection for the old competition. He joked that after all of these years, he had been very conservatively English and he wants its traditions to endure. He said, for example, that he was against the scrapping of cup replays.

I am quite a bit nervous about changing the rules because I like them now, Wenger said. It looks like we always get more money and want to play less games. That is a little bit of a contradiction.

Next season, we have even more money coming in, so every single club will have 25 top-level players. I am convinced all of the clubs can compete with the number of games we have to play, so there is no real need to change the rules. This is the most traditional competition in England, so lets respect it and keep it as it is.

Wenger has won the FA Cup six times and Saturdays tie will be his 100th in it. His association with the competition goes back to his childhood. The first game on television I ever saw in France was an FA Cup game, he said. We had no television and we had to go to school, where we had a black-and-white screen, and we could watch the FA Cup final.

At that time, I could never imagine I would play 100 FA Cup games. It is a privilege, because 100 is quite a big number and we have done well in the FA Cup most of the time. I want to defend my record tomorrow.

I dont remember the teams in that first final I watched. I was too young. Its funny because I had an interview yesterday with some people from the FA and they asked me about the history of the English game. The first real players I remember are the 1966 players Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Stiles, Hurst, all these players.

Before that, I was nine or 10 years old when I saw some FA Cup finals. But I dont remember which teams played. It might have been Tottenham but Im not sure about that!

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/19/arsene-wenger-manchester-united-mathieu-debuchy

No comments:

Post a Comment