Saturday, October 22, 2016

Paul Feig Honors Rebel Wilson at Australians in Film Awards


Rebel Wilson on "Pitch Perfect 3"

Aussie film achievements were celebrated with a star-studded gala at the Australians in Film Awards.

Australian comedian Tim Minchin played host to the fifth annual event, held at NeueHouse Hollywood. Praising one of the night"s honorees, Minchin said, "Rebel [Wilson] has been known to be funny! I love her so much, it makes me really happy!"

Actor Joel Edgerton kicked off the ceremony by presenting Jai Courtney with one of two FOXTEL Breakthrough Awards. "He is a rare person in that he can do that something he can shoot guys and be that guy but there"s something very intelligent and subtle about his performances," Edgerton said of his fellow Aussie.

Courtney acknowledged his honor by telling The Hollywood Reporter, "I"ve had the extreme fortune of working with some of the greats. Robert Duvall was in my first film I did; Tom Cruise and Angelina Jolie directed me in a project. You never know what"s next! I"mconstantlyin awe of the people I get the fortune of working with." When accepting his award, Courtney joked that "It"s ironic I"m accepting this award in a year I"ve done less acting than the previous few!"He concluded with advice to fellow Australians trying to break into theindustry, "One accomplishment leads to the next andbecomes a launch pad looking forward.It"s going to take a lot of grit and a lot of resilience being so far from home."

Director Paul Feig presented Rebel Wilson with theinaugural Screen NSW Kellermann Award, recalling his first introduction to Wilson during her Bridesmaids audition. "Rebel"s audition was unlike anything I"ve ever seen. She was unique. Unique in almost a perplexing way. Her out of far left field improvised lines ... She was so beautifully weird!" Feig credited Wilson for changing his life after the great Bridesmaids success.

"No one really thought I would be a good actress let alone successful!" said Wilson in her touching acceptance speech, adding, "The whole journey has been very hard, but I do really love what I do. I love being an actress, entertainingpeople and doing a job that I"m superpassionateabout."

The show and benefit galaalso honored directorJames Wan with Fox Studios Australia International Award, Ridley Scottwith the Ausfilm International Award andGreg Basser with theQantas Orry-Kelly International Award.

Australians in Film is a Los Angeles based film, television and digital content non-profit with a mission to connect Australian filmmakers to the international market.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paul-feig-honors-rebel-wilson-940480

No comments:

Post a Comment