Monday, April 3, 2017

Maren Morris: How She Wrote "How It"s Done" � Radio.com


Maren Morris - 80s Mercedes

By Heather Stas and brian ives

maren morris has already won one ACM Award this year: it was announced that she is the winner of Best New Female Vocalist. Shes also up for Best Female Vocalist, Single Record of the Year (for My Church) and Album of the Year (for Hero).

Hero has yielded a pair of hit singlesMy Church and 80s Mercedesbut the album is filled with great songs, including How Its Done. And, as she recently toldRadio.com, to get the song done, she had to press her producer to let her finish it. Happily, her intuition won the day.

I had this line, Let me show you how its done. And I wanted it to be sort of a love song, but a sexy love song and not take itself too seriously. But my friend and co-writer Natalie Hembyshes amazingwe were downstairs at her publishing house one day and we just had this crappy organ sound going, and we wrote the verse and the hook of the chorus, essentially, and we ran out of time that day. And I was saying I was going to LA next week, and Im gonna be writing with [producer] busbee, who were both friends with, and I was like, Do you mind if I show him this song and maybe we finish it out there? And she was like, Go ahead. I would love that."

I brought it to busbee, and he was like, Yeah, this is cool. Lets start something new though." And that was the wrong call.

I was like, Actually, I would really love just give me one hour on this song and play around with it, and I feel like it could be really, really cool and big and just like R&B-sounding, but still have this country-structured lyric and say a very confident statement.

And I loved that perspective because I dont think its shown enough: the girls sort of taking charge. Its always the dude in the song thats like, Ill pick you up when you fall, and blah, blah, blah. Its like sometimes they need a woman to come in and save them.

Related: Maren Morris Finds Her Church at the Ryman

So I was glad that he humored me. And we finished the song, and I remember he said, we were listening back to it and he was like, Yeah, you were right. Im glad that we hammered on this." In other words, she showed him how its done.

See if Morris wins any more trophies at this years ACM Awards this Sunday night at 8:00 pm on CBS.

Source: http://radio.com/2017/03/30/maren-morris-how-she-wrote-how-its-done/

No comments:

Post a Comment