Wednesday, March 11, 2015

49ers' Patrick Willis retiring after injury-shortened season



SANTA CLARA His eyelids swollen from tears, seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis bid farewell to football and called it one of his happiest days yet because he is leaving on his own terms.

His tender, size-13 feet "12 when they're bent" can no longer handle the grind of NFL practices let alone the demands of game day.

Willis announced Tuesday he will retire after his 2014 season was cut short by a toe injury that required surgery and sore feet that make everything more of a challenge.

"In my head, I'm already a Hall of Famer," Willis said. "I am leaving this with closure. I'm happy today, more happy today than the day I was drafted."

San Francisco is losing its defensive captain and locker room leader, the player who often addressed the team before games with inspirational pep talks.

Willis isn't saying exactly what's next, perhaps a vacation, some speaking gigs, a day of fishing, slow mornings with a cup of coffee instead of an intense workout.

"I have no regrets. I've had the most amazing eight years of football of my life. I am so humbled to have had this opportunity. I've been so humbled to have played this game.

Willis and friend NaVorro Bowman had made up one of the best 1-2 linebacker punches in the NFL until both missed time last season, the entire season for Bowman as he recovered from reconstructive knee surgery.

The 30-year-old Willis was sidelined with a strained muscle in his left big toe. He was placed on the season-ending injured reserve Nov. 11 after getting hurt in the third quarter at St. Louis on Oct. 13.

"These feet, boy, boy, boy, I've made no excuses," said Willis, who notes his feet "spoke" to him. "When you don't have no feet, that's what has made me what I am. I no longer have in these feet to give you guys that kind of 'Wow.'"

Source: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/niners/3641355-181/story.html



No comments:

Post a Comment