Monday, March 16, 2015

Henry Cejudo eyeing Mexico City following flyweight win at UFC 185



Henry Cejudo

After several previous failed attempts to make flyweight, Henry Cejudosuccessfully made the 125-pound limit for his UFC 185 bout with Chris Cariaso.

Things went well in his first bout inthe UFCs lightest weight classas the 2008 Olympic gold medalist controlled the fight from bell to bell, using his wrestling to dictate where the fight took place and sticking Cariasos(17-7 MMA, 7-5 UFC) back to either the cage or canvas. Cejudo (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) tookall three judgesscorecards, 30-27, for the unanimous-decision victory.

Cejudo wasnt entirely happy with his performance, however, andsaid he wanted to score a knockout. That disappointment was still present to a degree as Cejudo was asked about itat the post-fight press conference.

Absolutely, Cejudo said. I come from Mexican descent. Were known to fight smart, or at least to showcase some type of standup like I did my last fight. I felt a little tight in my arms and my chest. It was from the weighcut. I mean, it wasnt bad. I was a pound under Friday night, so whoever bet against me, you get this one. Ill be back. Im only going to get better. I would love to fight in Mexico City. Im fluent in Spanish. My parents are from Mexico City.

UFC President Dana White was very supportive of the idea of Cejudo getting a slot on the next card inMexico City, UFC 188, which is slated for June 13.

Oh, hes good, White said. Hes going to Mexico for sure.

Cejudo weighed in for the bout, which took place on the pay-per-view main cardatAmerican Airlines Center in Dallas, at 125 pounds despite a one-pound allowance (126 pounds) fornon-title fights.

He explained what led to the one-pound cushion despite several previous bad weight cuts, including having to cancel his UFC 177 bout with Scott Jorgensen due to medical difficulties during the cut.

I hired a good nutritionist, Cejudo said. He really pretty much held my hand along the way. I just kept sweating and sweating and losing weight without even really trying. I only used the sauna for like 15 minutes. I literally went back to the prison lifestyle when I was training for the Olympics. I had no life for these last three months. I was kind of scared to be honest with you. When youve got Vegas odds going against you for betting, that kind of sucks for me. So like I said, you get one of these.

As a little kid, I used to fight for ice cream in the ghettos of Phoneix. Im a 20-year-old kid now, and now I get a chance to fight for UFC gold. It means a lot to me.Dream big, sacrifice all, and you will enjoy victory.

For complete coverage of UFC 185, check out the UFC Events section of the site. And for complete coverage more on UFC 188, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Source: http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/henry-cejudo-eyeing-mexico-city-following-flyweight-win-at-ufc-185



No comments:

Post a Comment