Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Mott the Hoople drummer Dale Griffin dies at 67


Mott The Hoople - Drivin" Sister (Live)

Known by the nickname Buffin,Griffin was also a producer and worked for the BBC on a number of JohnPeel sessions on Radio One including Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkinsand Pulp.

Speaking in 2010 about his diagnosis, Griffin said the disease hadhad a huge effect on his life.

Supporting an Alzheimer"s Society campaign, he said: "I used tobe fearless, but Alzheimer"s has stopped me in my tracks. It is mydreadful little bug and I have to fight to keep it from controlling me.

"Alzheimer"s has prevented me from doing a lot of the things Ilove - like reading and writing - but I try to keep as relaxed andeasygoing as possible."

He told how people began to avoid him because they felt awkward.

He added: "It is really important for people to "remember theperson" and look beyond someone"s diagnosis of dementia. Many oldfriends now avoid me as they do not know what to say, which is really hurtful.

"I just wish they would realise that inside, I am still thesame old "Buffin" I always was."

Culturestars who died in 2016

Paying tribute to the drummer, singer-songwriter Billy Braggrecalled being "made up" to find that Griffin was to producea session he was doing for the BBC in 1984.

Griffin leaves behind his long-term partner Jean Smith.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/mott-the-hoople-drummer-dale-griffin-dies-at-67/

No comments:

Post a Comment