Saturday, May 16, 2015

NBA draft: Utah's Delon Wright shows off his skills to prospective teams



He's not only enjoying the process: He's embracing it.

"It's been fun," Wright said. "I'm glad to be here, and I've been through so much that I'm just trying to have fun with it all. I just have to focus on what I need to do better, work on the strengths I already have and be the best player I can be. Everything else will fall into place."

As the lone local collegian at the combine the premier camp before the draft Wright knows what he can do the minute he steps on an NBA floor.

He was a great defender in college. He was one of the best players in the country at attacking the rim, and his length is uncommon for a point guard.

Wright measured 6-foot-5 in shoes, and 6-4 without shoes. His wingspan measured at nearly 6-8, which gives him almost ideal size for his position at the NBA level. It also gives him a good shot at being a first-round pick. Wright is one of those prospects who could be drafted in the teens, or he could last until late in the round. But he will he drafted, and that gives him the shot of making an instant impact.

"Delon, man, he's a really skilled player. You don't find a lot of 6-5, 6-6 point guards out there," Arizona forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson said. "I played against him for two years in the Pac-12, and it was a real challenge guarding him. He helped me become a better defender, because it was so tough to stay with him. I think he's going to have a good chance to be a really good player."

Wright's drawbacks are noted. He's never been the best perimeter shooter, and he will have to prove to teams that he can knock down open jumpers. Otherwise, getting to the basket in the NBA will be a challenge for him, because teams will play off him defensively.

Strength has been an issue as well. But that may be in the past, because Wright looked noticeably bigger in the arms and shoulders on Thursday the product, he says, of living in the weight room six days a week.

Wright didn't play five on five, but he did participate in measurements and drills. He had an 8-5 standing reach, registered 6 percent body fat and had an 8-inch hand measurement.

"I think a lot of it helps with my length on defense," Wright said. "It helps me to guard point guards. At first this season, I was trying to prove to people that I can shoot. But now, I think hitting shots has to be natural for me. When I'm open, I just shoot it."

The next month for Wright equates to a whirlwind. He is expected to work out for the Utah Jazz in the coming weeks, as well as other teams. He's conducted multiple interviews with teams at the combine.

It's all a part of the process for Wright. And by the end, he is expected to become the first player drafted from the University of Utah since Andrew Bogut.

tjones@sltrib.com

twitter: @tjonessltrib

Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2514997-155/nba-draft-utahs-delon-wright-shows



No comments:

Post a Comment